Noodles out of a box can be quick and easy but no noodle out of a box can light a candle to homemade egg noodles. When Ninon (owner of Rill Specialty Foods) was a kid her mom used to make her own noodles all the time. Ninon and her 5 siblings would practically beg for them. Nancy, Ninon’s mom, would make a minimum of 3 heaping gallons of noodles every time. When Ninon had her own kids she made noodles for them and when she started her deli she would make chicken noodle soup with her noodles any time the weather turned. You can make homemade noodles that will warm your family’s stomachs too.
Homemade egg noodles are incredibly easy. The hardest part can be cutting them but even that can be done with a butter knife or a long chef’s knife.
You will need:
1/2 lb spinach
1 cup flour (or until mixture is no longer sticky)
1. Put the spinach in a food processor and chop until fine (you can do this by hand too you just need to chop for a while)
2. Add eggs to the spinach and mix well
3. Add 1/2 cup flour, blend well
4. Remove mixture from food processor and add additional flour until the mixture can be kneaded.
5. Knead until gluten activates, the dough will become springy
6. Roll out the dough 1/8 of an inch thick or thinner and cut into 1/4 inch wide strips or to desired size.
7. Add an extra cup of water to the Minestrone and the desired amount of noodles then drop the rest into boiling water and use as a side dish.
The noodles will take about 15 or 20 minutes to cook.